You are now leaving this website to view another Albireo website.
About PFIC | Progressive Familial
If someone you know or care about has PFIC, here is some information that may help you understand their condition.
- Progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis (PFIC) is a spectrum1-4 of autosomal recessive genetic disorders in which cholestasis leads to liver failure.5
- The estimated incidence of PFIC ranges from 1 in 50,000 to 100,000 births.5
- PFIC1, PFIC2 and PFIC3 are most common.5
- In addition, other rare forms of PFIC exist with varying phenotypes, but all present with cholestasis.6
- The most debilitating symptom of PFIC is pruritus (insatiable itching), which may be so severe that it leads to skin mutilation, loss of sleep, irritability, poor attention and impaired school performance.7
If you have additional questions about PFIC, speak with a healthcare professional or contact an Albireo Assist Care Coordinator, who may be able to help. Call 855-ALBIREO (855-252-4736) 8am-6pm ET.
- Henkel S et al. World J Hepatol. 2019;11(5):450-463.
- Schatz BA et al. Hepatol Commun. 2018;2(5):504-514.
- Aldrian D et al. J Clin Med. 2021;10(3):481.
- Folmer DE et al. Hepatology. 2009;50(5):1597-1605.
- Davit-Spraul A et al. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2009;4:1.
- Amirneni S et al. World J Gastroenterol. 2020;26(47):7470-7484.
- Srivastava A. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2014;4:25-36.
Enter your state to find your dedicated Albireo Assist Care Coordinator.
- District Of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
FORMS & APPLICATIONS
Complete this Patient Consent Form to enroll in Albireo Assist. Your doctor will also need to complete an Enrollment Form and provide supporting materials for you to sign up.
Complete this Patient Assistance Program application if your Care Coordinator determines you are eligible for the program.
BROCHURE FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS
Download this brochure for healthcare professionals for information on Albireo Assist.
Download this brochure for patients and caregivers for information on Albireo Assist.